Here are 12 health and safety tips to help make your Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or other holiday celebration a safe and happy one.
1) Wash your hands often. Wash your hands with soap and running water, rubbing them together for at least 20 seconds.
2) Stay warm. Wear warm clothing when it’s cold outside. Check on loved ones who may have difficulty keeping warm.
3) Manage stress. Prioritize, don’t over-do the holiday rush. Take a breath. Slow down and enjoy. Take some time for yourself.
4) Travel safely. Plan your trip, don’t drink and drive, and wear your seat belt.
5) Be smoke-free. Quitting tobacco and nicotine is the best gift you can give to yourself.
6) Watch the kids. While shopping, at home and at other venues, make sure children are safe.
7) Prevent injuries. Look for frayed electrical cords. Use ladders properly. Keep heaters and candles away from flammable materials.
8) Handle and prepare food safely. Protect from food-borne illnesses.
9) Eat healthy. Indulge in moderation. Limit fats, salty and sugary foods.
10) Be active. Be active for at least 2-1/2 hours a week.
11) Prevent fires. Never leave fireplaces or stoves unattended. Have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
12) Focus. When you feel stressed, remind yourself of the important things the holiday brings to you.